The UK is still scheduled to leave the EU and we are aware that the uncertainty about how and when that might happen is still a real concern to many people. If it does so on a no-deal basis, then travel to and from the UK could be affected. However, we don’t know what the full impact will be yet, with or without a deal. There could be delays at the borders, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may not be valid, and entry requirements to EU countries may change. 

If you make a claim, then, under the terms of our travel policies, the sections that may be relevant are the Missed Departure, Delay, Travel Disruption, and Medical Expenses sections. 

Here are a few FAQ’s which we hope will help clarify the insurance position of a no-deal Brexit outcome and how it could affect you; 

Will I be ‘covered for Brexit’? 

If Brexit causes disruption to your travel arrangements, then it’s the airlines and travel companies that take primary responsibility for offering alternative transport or refunds. In the first instance, customers should always contact their travel providers first. 

You decide that you don’t want to go to Europe now; can I cancel my trip and make a claim? 

Cancellation cover is for specific reasons only which are detailed within your policy. Those reasons don’t include deciding not to travel. 

Will my travel insurance still be valid in the EU, after we leave the EU? 

Yes, your travel insurance will still be valid. Your cover will be the same and You’ll get exactly the same levels of service and care if you need emergency medical treatment while you’re in an EU country. 

What happens if long queues cause a problem for me? 

Missed Departure cover only applies in certain circumstances and you will need to refer to your Travel Policy wording more information. These are the circumstances leading to your arriving at an international or final departure point too late to board your booked transport. The circumstances don’t include being delayed because of long queues. As longer queues are expected, you should make sure you take potential delays into account and leave enough time in your travel plans. 

But what happens if my transport is delayed or cancelled? 

Generally, the Delay section under a travel policy provides cover if your transport (for your outward or return journey) is delayed or cancelled for reasons which you or the tour operator can’t control. You will get either a nominal sum per 12 hours of the delay, or up to a certain limit (for travel and accommodation costs only) for cancellation if, after a defined delay period, you decide not to continue with your trip. 

However please note that if there’s a problem with your travel, then you should contact and follow the recommendations of your transport provider as a first port of call. 

If I need medical treatment while I’m overseas, can I still use their EHICs? 

No. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, then it’s quite likely the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer be valid. Therefore it’s so important to have appropriate travel insurance in place. If the EHIC is no longer valid, you will have to pay an excess on each medical expense claim. Please refer to your policy for details. 

If the EHIC will no longer be valid, will we go back to the E111? 

They’re the same thing. The E111 became the EHIC in 2006. If there’s a no-deal Brexit, there may be no equivalent or alternative to the EHIC. The only way for travellers to ensure that they are protected against costs for medical treatment is to take out travel insurance. 


Can I still get compensation from the airlines if flights are delayed or cancelled? 

According to the CAA, the rights to compensation under the EU Flight Compensation Regulation will continue to apply to passengers departing from the United Kingdom to an airport situated in the territory of an EU member state, as long as the airline has an operating license granted by an EU member state. You can find out more about your rights and how to make a claim on the CAA website: 

Will my passport still be valid, after we leave the EU? And I need a Visa? 

If you are travelling after 29 March (or when we leave, if later), then the government is recommending that UK travellers have at least six months left on their passports from the date of arrival in an EU country. 

If a 10-year adult passport was renewed before it expired, extra months may have been added, which won’t count towards the required six months remaining. 

You may want to renew your passports sooner rather than later, to make sure you have them in time for your holiday or travel plans. 

For Visas

The European Commission has confirmed that from 2021, UK citizens would have to pay €7 for a travel permit, as part of the European Travel Information and Authorisation Scheme (ETIAS). Travellers will register their details and pay the fee in advance of travel (at least 72 hours before departure is advised), to obtain ETIAS authorisation.

Related Blogs

Customer Agreement

Our Terms & Conditions of Business